Holborn Theatres

Aldwych Theatre was opened in 1905, seats 1200 people, and is a Grade II listed building.Holborn borrows its name from High Holborn, the area's main street. The area has a long history as a centre for entertainment, with taverns and theatres providing escapes for Londoners as early as Elizabethan times. Holborn Underground station in central London is served by the Central and Piccadilly lines. The station opened in 1906 and was largely rebuilt in 1933. The station is a gateway for some of the West End's top theatres.

New London Theatre

Featuring seating over two levels for 960 theatregoers, the New London Theatre opened in 1973 with a production of The Unknown Soldier and His Wife. Notable productions on the New London's stage have included the long-running Andrew Lloyd Webber and Trevor Nun musical Cats, which premiered in 1981 and closed in 2002. Recent productions at the West End theatre have included Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, the Royal Shakespeare Company's The Seagull and King Lear, and the critically acclaimed War Horse.

Located on the corner of Parker Street and Drury Lane, the New London Theatre is a five minute walk south-west from Holburn tube station. The modern theatre sits on the remains of taverns and music halls the dated back to the Elizabethan period. The Mogul Saloon was built on the site of the New London Theatre in 1847. By 1851, the venue was known as the Middlesex Music Hall or The Old Mo. Rebuilt in 1911 as the New Middlesex Theatre of Varieties, the venue was again renamed in 1919 as the Winter Garden Theatre. The theatre closed in 1959 and replaced with the current theatre in 1973.

Aldwych Theatre

Originally built as a companion to the Novello Theatre, the Aldwych Theatre opened in 1905 with a production of Blue Bell. Originally known as the Waldorf, the Novello Theatre sits on the other corner of the block where the Aldwych is based. The Aldwych is approximately seven minutes on foot south of Holburn Underground station. It is also within equal distance of Covent Garden and Charing Cross tube stations. The large West End theatre features a seating capacity of 1,200 over three levels.

Early productions at the Aldwych Theatre included The Beauty of Bath in 1906, The Gay Gordons in 1907, The Unknown in 1920, and a series of twelve farces between 1923 and 1933. In 1949, Academy Award winner Vivien Leigh appeared in A Streetcar Named Desire before appearing in the Hollywood film of the same name. The Royal Shakespeare Company chose the Aldwych as its London base in 1960 until the theatre company moving to the Barbican Arts Centre in 1982. Notable productions have included The Wars of the Roses, The Greeks, and Nicholas Nickleby. Recent productions have included Andrew Lloyd Webber's Whistle Down the Wind, Fame - The Musical and Dirty Dancing - The Classic Story on Stage.

Peacock Theatre

The 999-seat Peacock Theatre sits within the London School of Economics and Political Science campus. In addition to dance performances, ballet and concerts, the venue is used for lectures, talks, conferences, award ceremonies and other events. The theatre is also used by Sadler's Wells, London's main venue for contemporary dance. The Peacock Theatre is also noted as being the reputed home of Flipper the dolphin, one of the West End's most unusual urban legends and ghosts. The Portugal Street theatre is about a six minute walk south of Holburn Underground station.

A theatre has been found on the site of the Peacock Theatre since the 17th century. Originally known as Gibbon's Tennis Court and the Vere Street Theatre, a theatre opened here in 1660 with a performance of Othello. Abandoned by the resident theatre company in 1663, the original building was destroyed by fire in 1809. With the disappearance of several playhouses in the area, a new Beaux-Arts style theatre was built in 1911 with a capacity of 2,660. First known as the London Opera House, the venue was renamed to the National Theatre of England in 1914. The current and smaller theatre opened as The Royalty Theatre in 1960. The venue was the first West End theatre to be built in nearly three decades.